What exactly is social Networking ?
A #website or an #app dedicated to network or provide platform for social interaction and personal relationship between one or many individuals. It enables users to enhance and aids in #engineeringcommunications with each other by posting audio video information and also voicing their opinion and viewpoints via likes, comments, follows, messages, images or photographs.
Before the advent of personal computer, people could not even imagine that a machine would be made capable of solving complicated problems beyond comprehension and potential of mankind. In good old days one computer of 1MB used to occupy a space of over 1000 sq feet. Today we all carry a mini computer and much more advanced version of that computer in our pockets in the form of a Smart phone and is capable of solving and storing over a thousand times multiplied capacity of the olden days. Used positively it is the biggest boon of our generation.
Still many do consider this to be a bane for the society in general. The terminology Social Network as it is popularly termed has shrunk the world and taken us miles away from our next door neighbors. Visits to far off places have reduced. Human interaction is done digitally. We are more net savvy but emotionally we are simply detached from humans but value more of our gadgets.
An average person now spends more time each day with their phone and fancy gadgets than they do for relaxing or sleeping. The statistics and market surveys all point in the same direction: Social media are gaining popularity every day especially among the #studentsworldwide and have reduced them to a nervous wreck. They have started developing all kinds of symptoms of bad eyesight, nimble fingers, stiff backs etc. Their mental stability is still under reviews and observations and not very healthy to go by as per the first reports.
The average number of hours a teenager spends online per week: 27hours (2015).
Social media have become prominent parts of life for many young people today. Most people engage with social media without stopping to think what the effects are on our lives, whether positive or negative. Are we as a society becoming more concerned with #Facebook “friends” than we are with the people we interact with face-to-face in our daily lives? What will be the long term effects of today’s social network. ? Time to put on our thinking caps.
There are many positive aspects, but there are equally as many dangers that come with the use of sites such as #Facebook, #Twitter, #LinkedIn, #Pinterest, #Google+, #Tumblr, #Instagram, gaming sites, and #Blogs. In order to make the right choices, we must dig in and research this topic thoroughly.
The world has shrunk considerably with the expose of the international culture taking the teenagers in its grip with astounding flood of knowledge from all walks of life. They can with the click of a finger get to know what is happening on the other side of earth. The student is bombarded with so much of vast knowledge most of them irrelevant which at time misleads and de-focuses a student from his course and the syllabus that will fetch him his next level of education among his peers.
Social networking also has a very strong positive side to it:
- Teachers are able to easily collaborate and communicate with students and one another.
- Students have easy, free access to resources online to help them learn.
- Grades improve and absenteeism is reduced.
- 60% of student users report that they use social networking to discuss educational topics
- 25% of people read news online.
- Information spreads faster online than any other mode of communications.
- Social networking provides academic research to everyone with online access, allowing people access to previously unavailable resources.
- Social network has allowed people to connect with their alma matter and with this increased online communication strengthens those relationships.
The negatives of social networking
A Detriment to Work and/or School:
- Student use the internet blindly to download information for school home works without understanding half of the contents resulting in low comprehension of the topic under discussion.
- Study shows that students who went online while studying scored 20% lower in tests.
- Using social networking has resulted in rampant use of profanity, poor spelling, grammatical errors, racism, sexism, and poor health, references to alcohol or drugs, and sexual and religious divide.
- The anxiety level of a person in an asylum in 1950 is the same as the student addicted to social networking sites today in 2016.
Lack of Privacy:
- People, especially the young, are often too open and public with personal information when online. Most teens believe it is safe and harmless to post personal information, including photos and video.
Users Vulnerable to Crime:
- Social networking sites allow and promote hate groups to recruit and distribute propaganda online through the teenagers who is seeking thrill and adventure online.
- Criminals use social network to commit crimes. Robbers know when you’re away from your home on vacation as they get information about your whereabouts via social media.
- Security attacks such as hacking, identity theft, and viruses and exposure to phishing scams are common via social networking.
- Children face higher risks for depression, low self-esteem, and eating disorders and more prone to feeling isolated and disconnected.
- Enables the spread of false rumors and unreliable information: 49.1% of users have read false news on social networking sites.
- Encourages amateur medical advice and self-diagnosis of health problems, which can be dangerous and life-threatening.
A Waste of Time:
- When alerted to a new post or tweet, it takes about 20 to 25 minutes for the average teen to return to their studies.
Are Social Media Taking Over?
Paradoxically, social networking sites can make us not only more capable but also more incompetent. We sometimes share too much with too many, and we have to be conscious of that. Overall, we have to be careful and caution when approaching these things.
In this day and age, we are pressured 10 different ways as far as our beliefs and opinions are concerned. Are having our own thoughts or are we so influenced by external phenomenon that we believe everything we see online?
In many cases it is clear that social media have become not only part of people’s lives but the things their lives revolve around. We see people checking smartphones every two minutes, looking for the latest tweet or status update. It’s important yet difficult to retain the attitude that these sites may be useful, but that’s all they are—tools, not lifestyles.
Is Our Internet Culture Destroying Us
Brandzbee lets you decide… as we all live in the largest democracy of the world !